Trip Cancellation Insurance
We offer a wide selection of trip cancellation policies to choose from. Get a quote and see! Cancellation insurance protects you against the risk of having to cancel your trip before it even gets started. Many events can sidetrack your well intended travel plans.
Sometimes, with cancellation penalties or non-refundable tickets, as well as reservations and tour expenses that might not be fully refundable, the costs of having to cancel a trip can add up to more than pocket change. For a fraction of those costs, you can rest assured that if you do need to cancel because of an insured risk, the only money that will be out of pocket is the cost of your insurance.
Trip cancellation policy example:
Of course each company has a slightly different set of definitions for what is covered and what is excluded, so it is important that you read through the coverage and to pay attention to those issues that may affect your travel plans. As an example though, the following list of insurable risks demonstrates the type of coverage that is offered:
- You or your travel companion develop(s) a medical emergency or die(s).
- A member of your immediate family, a member of your travel companion’s immediate family or your key-person develops a medical emergency or dies; or the person whose guest you will be during your trip is admitted to a hospital with an emergency or dies.
- You or your spouse: a) become pregnant after you book your trip and your departure date falls in the nine (9) weeks before or after the expected delivery date, or b) legally adopt a child and the notice of custody is received after the effective date and the date of custody is scheduled in the nine (9) weeks before or after your departure date.
- Your or your travel companion’s travel visa is not issued for a reason beyond your/their control.
- You or your spouse are called to service as a reservist, fire-fighter, military or police staff, or to jury duty or to be a defendant in a civil suit, during your trip; or you or your spouse are subpoenaed to be a witness during your trip.
- You, your spouse, your travel companion or your travel companion’s spouse are quarantined or hijacked.
- You or your travel companion are unable to occupy your/their respective principal residence or to operate your/their respective business because of a natural disaster.
- You, your spouse, your travel companion or travel companion’s spouse: a) lose a permanent job because of lay-off or dismissal without just cause, b) are transferred by your/their respective employer; or c) must move from your/their respective principal residence.
- You or your travel companion are transferred by the employer with whom you or your travel companion were employed at the time of application for this insurance, which requires a relocation of your or your travel companion’s principal residence.
- A business meeting that is the main intent of your trip and was scheduled before you, or you and your travel companion purchased this insurance, is cancelled for a reason beyond your control or the control of your employer and the meeting is between companies with unrelated ownership.
- Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada issues a written formal Travel Warning after you purchase your insurance, advising Canadians to avoid all or non-essential travel to a destination included in your trip.
The above list of covered risks is provided as an example only. Each company will provide a similar, but differently worded list. Whether you are planning a trip out of province within Canada, or away from Canada trip cancellation insurance will be combined with trip interruption insurance, and is offered by Manulife Travel Insurance, TIC travel Insurance Coordinators, Travel Guard Canada, Travel Underwriters, ETFS travel insurance and GMS Insurance.
If you want to only have trip interruption insurance, you can enter zero under trip costs when requesting a quote. Even if you have zero cancellation insurance, the trip interruption coverage may be invaluable. This applies to all-inclusive travel insurance plans as well.
Our Bestquote Compare tool on your quote presentation will allow you to quickly compare the differences in covered risk wording and select the plan that you feel is best for you.